Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The Best Chocolate Cake in the World

I've been a little preoccupied with chocolate lately as anyone on Twitter could testify. I thought it was high time I posted the best chocolate cake recipe in the world. Our family makes this cake for every birthday party, family gathering, holiday, or pretty much any reason we can think of. I know it's the best because I've tasted it and I know.

Here's what you need:

Cake:
4 squares of chocolate unsweetened
1 3/4 cup cake flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. soda
1/2 cup shortening
1 1/4 cups evaporated milk
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs

Line 2 -9"pans with parchment or waxed paper cut to fit. Mix shortening and dry ingredients. Beat in 1 cup evaporated milk and vanilla. Beat on low 2 minutes. Add eggs and rest of milk and half of melted chocolate. Beat one minute on medium. Pour into 9" pans. Swirl in remaining chocolate in each pan. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

Frosting:
2 cups whipping cream
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
1 dash salt

Beat all ingredients until thick and spreading consistency. Be careful not to turn the cream into butter.

If you are the type who wants to eat great food without all the work, try using Betty Crocker's milk chocolate cake mix and swirl in 2 Dove dark chocolate bars. Then, make the frosting as usual. It tastes sooooo good.

6 comments:

  1. I too love chocolate and I will make this cake before the year ends. Thanks, Carroll

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy,
    Thank you for the last paragraph as I am one not to want to do all the work. Hee hee. I love your music selection section on this BLOG. How'd you do that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the music - and I'll be right over for a slice of cake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments, guys. It's nice to know my friends will be able to taste this wonderful cake and share it with their families as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy ! When I am feeling better, I will try this recipe...thanks so much for sharing such a special family favorite !

    ReplyDelete
  6. To busy today to make this cake but another day I will for sure make it. Thanx

    ReplyDelete

I would love to have your comments. Please be patient while I moderate each one.